Friday, January 13, 2017

Ironman Gauntlet Entry #2

Because I have had 0 experience with metalworking, I have called upon the help of some people I know who can help with this project. We redid measurements to make sure everything was as accurate as could be. We then began to cut the strips of metal for the fingers, which was a lot easier than I thought it would be. After completing this, I used a clamp to bend the copper to fit the form of my fingers. I used snips and a file to round out some of the edges so that when I fit them to my fingers I would not get cut on the metal. After fitting all the pieces and rounding out the edges, it’s time to begin gluing the pieces (can be done with either hot glue gun or you can weld, depending on which you prefer). The glove that works best with this type of project is an Ansell Projex Leather Driving Glove or a Tactical Police Leather Driving Glove. Due to the limited time given and the long shipping time, this was not a possibility for me.  Using a mold would work best so that the pieces will be firmly in place when gluing; however, making a mold does take a lot of time, and I only had a short time to get this done. So, I ended up having my hand inside the glove as we glued the pieces on. (This was unwise on my part, even though I did not get burned. I would suggest the mold and making that very early on to ensure accuracy and avoid the possibility of getting burned by the hot glue. The same goes for welding; make sure that your hand is not inside of the glove as this will hurt so much more than the glue will. After all the pieces have been assembled to the glove, I put both Vambrace and glove on. They fit beautifully and the laser was attached to the top of the vambrace for easy access.

Here is the video I made for the Ironman Gauntlet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USt0gGtg2J8

No comments:

Post a Comment